Top Ten Movies of the Summer
1. Pacific Rim- This movie is straight up the most fun I had at the movies at this summer. It didn’t feature particularly good acting, or ingenious storytelling, but it didn’t need it at all. It is like Independence Day except with giant monsters fighting giant robots, and there is nothing wrong with that.
2. World War Z- I know that this probably isn’t everybody’s pick for second place, but it was one of the only films that came out this summer that exceeded my expectations. It was a very fun, intense, and entertaining blockbuster zombie movie that I thoroughly enjoyed.
3. This is the End- This is by far the funniest movie I saw all summer. Seth Rogen, James Franco, Jonah Hill, Craig Robinson and many more play incredibly funny versions of themselves in this incredibly raunchy apocalyptic comedy.
4. The Wolverine- Though the trailers didn’t make it look like anything special, this movie surprisingly really delivered. This is my favorite superhero movie of the summer, and taking the film to a Japanese setting made it all the more awesome.
5. Star Trek Into Darkness- The sequel to 2009’s Star Trek, slightly disappointed me, but was nevertheless a very good sequel. Though it missed some of the humor and energy of the first, it was a nonstop 2-hour thrill ride through space with a great performance from Benedict Cumberbatch, who is the man. I also lost my ipod touch when watching this movie, so that kind of sucked.
6. Fast and Furious 6- It took what was awesome bout 2011’s Fast Five, did not take itself seriously, and had some truly incredible action sequences. Whether it is a battle on a free way involving a tank, or a scene where Vin Diesel literally drives out of a plane, this movie is ridiculous, and is all the better for it.
7. Iron Man 3- Iron Man 3 is for the most part a really good movie. It is much better than Iron Man 2, it featured the signature Robert Downey Jr. humor, and while there was some plot issues, for the most part it is pretty great. My main problem with the movie was how they handled the ending of the movie, but I’m still looking forward Avengers 2.
8. We’re the Millers- We’re the Millers is another really hilarious, raunchy summer comedy. Jason Sudeikis was really funny, plus there is Jennifer Aniston. As a stripper. Nuff said.
9. Elysium- While definitely not as good as director Neill Blomkamp’s previous film, District 9, Elysium is still an exciting, innovative, and smart science fiction movie that dealt with real world problems. Personally, it was a little too short for me, and while it didn’t have as much power as District 9, it was a pretty good movie.
10. Man of Steel- Almost too action packed, this still made for a pretty solid superhero movie with a Dark Knight/Christopher Nolan feel to it.